The SCMA first stated in 2009 and attained charity status in 2011 (Charity number SC042950). The charity is run by existing and ex cycle messengers. The aim is to :
- Promote cycling in an urban environment
- To host cycling events and extend participation of these events to include a wider cycling community, encouraging all cyclists to participate.
- To set up a bicycle messenger fund which will provide support and financial help to cycle messengers who have suffered an injury whilst at work. As self-employed sub contractors they are not entitled to any kind of sick or injury pay
- Encourage the use of bicycles as a simple and cheap means of transport.
- To show how beneficial cycling can be to health and fitness and how it allows a feeling of freedom in an increasingly congested urban setting.